From Our Video Series
Honors & Awards
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, 2008-2020 (Personal Injury Medical Malpractice: Defense)
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-2020 (Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants)
AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, 1980
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, 1980
U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1980
University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, J.D., 1980
- Member, National Moot Court Team
Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, B.S., 1976, cum laude
- Member, Omicron Delta Kappa, National Leadership Honor Society
Allegations of professional negligence are personal to my clients and I take them personally on their behalf. In my practice, I do all manner of professional liability defense, having defended doctors for almost 40 years, and other professionals for the last 20 years. In this time, I’ve developed relationships with many doctors, lawyers and other professionals in need of assistance in defending their livelihood. My clients are people, people who want to make a living serving others through the practice of their chosen profession, and I work to win every case for these folks. Sometimes a win is a good settlement rather than a defense verdict, but I’m driven to give the best advice and get the best outcome possible for them. As a result, I believe I have developed a good reputation with the medical and legal community and this, in turn, helps me defend my clients.
After a basketball injury in college that cut short any hope of joining the NBA (coupled with a lack of size and talent), I began studying in the pre-med program at Transy. I eventually decided that being a lawyer would make for a better career for my interests, but I believed my pre-med background would be a perfect fit for practicing medical malpractice cases, and I did just that. The most challenging legal issue in these cases, particularly in the medical cases, is causation. I defend the standard of care, but I also analyze each case to determine if the alleged negligence caused the injury claimed. These are usually the most interesting issues and allow me and my colleagues to learn the medicine involved. Learning the medicine and being able to cross experts on their terms is very rewarding.
As a licensed professional working hard in a career advocating for others, I can understand the difficulty others face when dealing with a malpractice claim or other process that affects their ability to practice. I give my clients my absolute best effort, and I never forget that I’m here to help them through a difficult period in their lives. They can count on me.
Ethics Counsel and General Counsel
As the McBrayer firm grows, the roles of Ethics Counsel and General Counsel are more critical than ever; we must be sure that our attorneys in multiple offices hold to the highest standards of conduct and provide our clients with quality, responsible representation. To those ends, I bring my unique experience in, and understanding of, professional responsibility and legal ethics as a professional liability defense counsel to bear in advising the firm and its attorneys on issues of importance.
- Healthcare Professional Licensure Defense
- Hospital Representation
- Insurance Defense
- Legal Malpractice Defense
- Malpractice and Professional Liability Defense
- Mediation Services
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Negligence Defense
- Product Liability Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Professional Liability Defense: Architects, Engineers, Surveyors
I support a number of local charities and my family and I are members of Crestwood Disciples of Christ. I was recently Senior Advisor to the Fayette County Bar Association. My free time is devoted to my family, particularly my grandkids.
News & Insights
- Super Lawyers, December 2, 2019
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® in America, September 4, 2019
- Exploring the Alternatives: Courts and Clients Increasingly Look to Mediation and Arbitration in Resolving DisputesBusiness Lexington, March 22, 2019
- December 19, 2018
- UPDATE: The Cabinet for Health and Family Services files motion for stay to allow Medical Review Panels to continue during court processNovember 2, 2017
- Attorneys from McBrayer law offices in Lexington and Louisville achieved a 2018 listing in U.S. News Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 15, 2017
- Calvin R. Fulkerson - Attorney Biography
Kentucky Bar Association, 1980
Fayette County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute