From Our Video Series
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, 2015
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, 2015
U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2017
University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, J.D., 2012
- Gess Mattingly & Atchison Moot Court Scholarship
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Equine Law
- Member, Moot Court Board, 2010-2012
- Member, National Moot Court Team, 2011-2012
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, B.A., Psychology and English, 2007, magna cum laude
- Honors Program, 2003-2007
- Commonwealth Scholar (merit-based)
- Departmental and University Honors
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
My clients will appreciate that I aggressively pursue the best outcomes possible on their behalf. My areas of practice challenge me to develop balanced, thoughtful, and creative solutions in this regard, and I am dedicated to the pursuit of excellence by following the most updated legal trends at the national, state, and local levels. More importantly, my practice provides me the opportunity to assist my clients get back on track as they deal with a wide variety of legal matters.
I am proud of the appellate results I’ve achieved, as well as my results for individual clients that I’ve helped by securing a satisfying resolution for them.
more than mcbrayer
As a lifelong resident of Lexington, Kentucky, I’m passionate about the horse industry. Since childhood, I’ve been an active competitor in equestrian sports, including eventing, dressage, and foxhunting. Prior to law school, I worked on both Thoroughbred and sporthorse farms in a variety of positions. I’m a traditional Graduate “A” of the United States Pony Club. Currently, I compete in the amateur/owner divisions in show jumping with my off-the-track Thoroughbred. Living in the Bluegrass provides unmatched opportunities to indulge in the equine industry, and I’ve been fortunate in my practice to support equine clients, businesses, and organizations.
In addition to my participation in the equine industry, I enjoy spending time with my family and supporting University of Kentucky sports—specifically basketball.
how i'm different
I invest in personal relationships as I work to deliver superior results for my clients. I care for my cases on a personal level and understand the unique challenges faced by those I represent as well as the importance of timely and cost-effective resolutions on their behalf.
I also pursue opportunities to diversify my practice in order to provide the best representation possible. My pursuit of continuing education and my drive to serve others allows me to be the best attorney I can be for my clients.
Upon graduation from law school, I was the staff attorney for Hon. James D. Ishmael, Jr. of the Fayette Circuit Court. I then practiced medical negligence defense as well as general insurance defense and civil litigation, specializing in governmental liability. Immediately prior to joining McBrayer, I practiced at Fulkerson, Kinkel & Marrs, where my practice was primarily focused on the defense of hospitals and healthcare providers in medical negligence claims as well as general insurance defense, professional liability defense, premises liability, employment law, and nursing home defense.
- Kentucky Bar Association, 2012-current
- Fayette County Bar Association, 2012-current
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, 2015-current
- Defense Research Institute, 2016-current
- Commercial Property Association of Lexington (C-PAL)
- United States Equestrian Federation (USEF)
- United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA)
News & Insights
- Business Lexington, November 2019, November 1, 2019
- AN UPDATE ON YESTERDAY'S RULING BY ATTORNEY KATHRYN ECKERT, February 15, 2019
- UPDATE: The Cabinet for Health and Family Services files motion for stay to allow Medical Review Panels to continue during court processNovember 2, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- New Kentucky Law Provides More Access to Telehealth June 21, 2018
- Kentucky Supreme Court Addresses Negligent Credentialing December 4, 2017
- A New Day for Healthcare in Kentucky June 14, 2017
- Dept. of Agriculture Issues COVID-19 Guidance for the Equine Industry March 27, 2020
- Kentucky Equine Liability: When the Potential Buyer Takes a Tumble October 12, 2018
- ALERT: Medical Review Panel Act Dead; No Rehearing in Claycomb v. Commonwealth February 15, 2019
- EHR-Related Claims on the Rise for Healthcare Providers October 20, 2017
- Kathryn A. Eckert - Attorney Biography