Positions Available/Current Openings
TITLE: LEGAL ASSISTANT
LOCATION: LEXINGTON, KY
McBrayer is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant in our Lexington office.
The role of the Legal Assistant at McBrayer is to facilitate the work of a group of attorneys, enhancing the effectiveness of those attorneys, communicating professionally with clients and other team members, and contributing to the firm’s success.
Job duties for a Legal Assistant at McBrayer include but are not limited to:
- Organize cases by establishing and organizing files; monitor calendars; meet deadlines; document actions; input information into file; confirm case status with attorney.
- Electronically file key documents meeting applicable deadlines; mail letters and pleadings.
- Communicate with people involved in the case including other attorneys, court clerks and personnel; schedule depositions; prepare and forward summonses and subpoenas; draft complaints; prepare and file discovery requests; prepare responses to opposing counsel; generate and share status reports.
- Keep clients informed on case process per the attorney.
- Maintain case costs / billables working with team and within billing software (LMS).
- Organize checks for various filing fees, vendor invoices and attorney reimbursements.
- Prepare case summaries, materials for conferences, pleadings; monitor and obtain discovery responses; organize case materials for team review.
- Prepare for trial proceedings: Organize evidence, prepare exhibits, schedule witnesses, take notes in pre-trial meetings.
- Contact state and federal agencies on an ad hoc basis for assistance and/or for information
- Administrative tasks as needed including coordinating appointments; transcription; copying documents; database maintenance; making, answering and directing phone calls; greeting clients; scheduling attorney travel arrangements; and other organizational tasks.
The role requires the following skills:
- Accountability / Takes Ownership
- Interpersonal and communication
- Legal administration
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Builds relationships internally and externally
- Organized / Strong planning
- Attention to Detail
- Ongoing interest in professional growth and process improvement
- Proficiency in Courtnet and Pacer preferred; NetDocs usage also a plus
The ideal candidate will have:
- Associate degree or equivalent certification
- 3-5 years work experience as a legal assistant
- Ability to type accurately at 70+ words per minute
Salary commensurate with experience. Please send resume and references to:
201 E Main Street, Suite 900
Lexington, KY 40507
No calls please.