As businesses evolve, it may be necessary or prudent to sell off assets, spin off a division, cleave the entity in half or otherwise restructure. Whether it is a strategic move or dictated by circumstances, divestitures and spinoffs give rise to numerous legal, financial and regulatory considerations.
The law firm of McBrayer, is known throughout Kentucky and neighboring states for shepherding complex mergers and acquisitions. We bring the same skill set to corporate divestiture and restructuring. Our business law attorneys are adept at untangling the knots in an efficient and definitive fashion that complies with government regulations and minimizes the threat of litigation.
Corporate Divesting, Spinoff and Leveraged Recapitalization Lawyers
Our experience in M&A transactions enables us to "reverse engineer" those deals to separate subsidiaries and sister companies. Of course divestiture is rarely that straightforward. Nonetheless, we draw on our extensive familiarity with complex business transactions to provide creative solutions for facilitating:
- Spinoff of a successful (or underperforming) department or subsidiary
- Carve-outs in anticipation of an IPO
- Leveraged recapitalizations to dissuade takeovers
- Split-ups of partnerships or LLCs
- Dissolutions and liquidations
- Management buyouts (MBOs)
- Sale or transfer of substantial blocs of stock
Our corporate law attorneys can address tax implications, contractual obligations, real estate transactions and related facets of divestiture transactions. Our banking and securities division can also protect business clients in relation to SEC filings and other federal and state regulatory compliance. We perform due diligence on behalf of purchasers of divested entities or assets to help them make informed decisions. We represent sellers or buyers in negotiating, drafting and enforcing the definitive agreement and ancillary documents to the transaction.
Take The First Step To A Successful Transaction
The experienced legal team at the McBrayer firm handles business transactions in all sectors, including the energy and health care industries. With offices in Lexington and Louisville as well as a government relations office in Frankfort, Kentucky and presence in Washington, D.C., we serve clients in Kentucky, surrounding states and nationwide.
News & Insights
- August 7, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- SEC Crowdfunding Rules - Another Vehicle for Capital? November 7, 2017
- Charge-offs on Consumer Debts: The Kentucky Supreme Court Causes Shaky Ground to Collect Prejudgment Interest May 3, 2017
- Third Circuit Upholds Authority of FTC to Uphold Data Security September 4, 2015
- Charging Orders on LLCs in Kentucky June 5, 2015
- Member Rights in Kentucky Limited Liability Companies May 1, 2015
- Five Questions with Keeana Sajadi Boarman
- Corporate Law Practice Area - Advertisement
- Robert E. Maclin, III - Attorney Biography
- Terri R. Stallard - Attorney Biography
- Emily H. Cowles - Attorney Biography
- James H. Frazier, III - Attorney Biography
Who We Serve
When a complete asset or investment disposal is needed, look to McBrayer attorneys for help. Whether the divestiture needs to occur quickly or over a prolonged period of time, we will help you reach your objective.