Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-2024 (Real Estate Law)
The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year", 2018 (Real Estate Law)
University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, J.D., 1991
- Honors: Phi Delta Phi (Magister, Breckinridge Inn, 1990-1991)
- Honors: Member, Moot Court Board
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, B.B.A., 1988
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Major: Finance
When Mary Estes Haggin started at McBrayer more than twenty five years ago, the practice of law was vastly different. The firm has grown substantially and continues to develop new practice areas and serve more clients and industries. McBrayer has one of the largest real estate practice groups in Kentucky, consisting of an experienced team of attorneys who are equipped to handle any real estate transaction. McBrayer has a strong relationship with the various banks and real estate related entities located throughout Kentucky, and it is a relationship that dates back to when the firm first opened in 1963.
As a real estate lawyer since 1991, Mary has handled virtually every aspect of this area of the law. Her representation includes, as necessary, title examination, title insurance, clearing title issues, preparation of deeds, settlement statements and loan documentation, contract negotiation and preparation, lease negotiation and preparation, survey analysis, and any and all other needs related to residential and commercial real estate matters. She enjoys counseling lenders, buyers, and sellers, as well as landlords and tenants in every aspect of a real estate transaction.
Mary's practice primarily lends itself to representation of lending institutions involved in real estate transactions. She, along with her staff and other members of McBrayer's real estate department, is committed to staying apprised of changes in the law and within the banking industry that may impact the business decisions lenders make regarding extensions of credit.
The real estate practice encompasses many different aspects of the law. Mary and the McBrayer real estate team deal with contracts, estates and probate, land use, and corporations in addition to the real estate process. Mary sees real estate as a great opportunity to pull people together and to create a good experience for both the seller and buyer. Many times a residential closing is the single biggest event in someone’s life, and Mary hopes that she plays a part in helping them complete that process. She places a great deal of value on going the extra mile for the client.
Mary has served in numerous public service roles, including pro bono representation of various non-profit entities as well as serving as a former board member to the Lexington Hearing & Speech Center, former board member to the University of Kentucky Alumni Association, former board chair of First United Methodist Church, and former board member of Methodist Home. Mary currently assists low-to moderate-income families and individuals become first-time homeowners by hosting seminars on the buying process and she continues to be actively involved in the community.
Additional Practice Experience
News & Insights
- August 17, 2023
- August 18, 2022
- August 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® in America, September 4, 2019
- December 19, 2018
- Attorneys from McBrayer law offices in Lexington and Louisville achieved a 2018 listing in U.S. News Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 15, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 2015 Annual Bench & Bar ConferenceLexington, KY, June 23, 2015
- Easements Made Easy: The Basics of Easements on Real Property June 6, 2017
- New Accounting Standards from FASB Create Big Changes for Leases March 25, 2016
- The New TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Requirements October 1, 2015
- The Dangerous Path of Property through Intestacy: The Need for Estate Planning with Respect to Real Estate May 7, 2015
- Titling Property & Same-Sex Couples in Kentucky January 30, 2015
- Boilerplate Language May Brew Trouble January 23, 2014
- Fayette County Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- President of the Lambda Alpha of Chi Omega House Corp.