From Our Video Series
Honors & Awards
- 2021, 2020 AV Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Kentucky Super Lawyer®
- The Best Lawyers in America®, (Employee Benefits ERISA) 1987-2022
Federal District Court in the 6th and 8th Circuits
U.S. Tax Court
Butler University, 1968
Michigan Law School, J.D., 1974
I spend my practice focusing on what I believe is my clients’ biggest concern: how to create and pass on a legacy. My job is to assist them with achieving their ultimate goals, supporting and guiding them to craft what is often a profound expression of their ideals for their community and their affection for loved ones. It is a riddle that I can’t help but enjoy solving.
Essentially, my practice is about family. Many of my clients involve families and family-owned businesses, so the emotional stakes can be high and the potential consequences devastating on a personal level. I understand the weight of these matters, and I take every opportunity to ensure that my clients aren’t just worked for, but cared for. I am in the business of people, not transactions, and I want every single client to feel that they have received real value in the services that I and my colleagues provide.
In addition to estate planning and administration, my multifaceted practice includes private foundation and public charity formation and planning; physician practice consultation and healthcare law; employee benefits law; and closely-held corporation planning transitions.
I spent two years in the U.S. Army, then I started my practice on LaSalle Street in Chicago where I remained for two years. I began my Louisville practice at Greenebaum Doll & McDonald, moving to Ewen McKenzie & Peden and then to Hirn Reed & Harper locally. In 1996, I co-founded Reed Weitkamp Schell & Vice.
I have been a Board member of Buckhorn Children and Family Services in Buckhorn, Kentucky for over 25 years. Our mission at Buckhorn is to provide a sanctuary of health, healing, and hope for at-risk children, youth, and families. With residential campuses in Buckhorn and Pine Ridge, Buckhorn offers secure, compassionate, and therapeutic communities.
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
News & Insights
- August 19, 2021
- Louisville Business First, April 6, 2021
- Managing Member James H. Frazier, III, Member Ivan Schell, Senior Attorney Katie Eckert Quoted in The Lane ReportThe Lane Report, February 2, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- Business Lexington, November 2019, November 1, 2019
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® in America, September 4, 2019
- July 1, 2019
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- ARGI, January 30, 2020
- Don’t Misplace Your Trust – Proposed Tax Law Overhaul Targets Grantor Trusts, IRAs, and Other Financial Planning Tools October 12, 2021
- Don’t Delay—Proposed Changes to Estate Tax Law Aim to Eliminate Step-Up in Basis August 23, 2021
- An Estate Planning Tool You Can Trust: Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts (SLATs) June 3, 2021
- CARES Act Charitable Contribution Extended for 2021 March 24, 2021
- Five Things You Must Do to Maximize 2020 Giving and Minimize Tax Liability November 4, 2020
- Ivan J. Schell - Attorney Biography