Kentucky Supreme Court, District 4, 2018
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, Louisville, Kentucky, J.D., 2018
- Vice President of the Veterans’ Advocacy Organization.
Law school representative for the MBA class taught at W. Fielding Rubel School of Business
2018 Transactional Moot Court Team
Completed the Ed Perry Mediation Fellowship and was awarded certification as a mediator.
Active in the Veterans’ Program Initiative at Legal Aid.
Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, B.S., 2013
- Major: Emergency Medicine
- Completed during combat deployments
There are attorneys who fight for their clients, but rarely do they come in the form of a soldier like Alec Betz. Alec enlisted in the military shortly after the events of 9/11 and served as an operator in the elite 5th Special Forces Group, known commonly as the Green Berets, spending the next twelve years in support of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. That experience made him adept at creative strategies and innovative solutions under high-pressure scenarios, skills that have been instrumental in facilitating complex transactions, collaborating with prominent firms, and navigating obstacles to closing deals.
Alec’s practice in the primary areas of commercial real estate, corporate law and entertainment law has benefited from his diverse background and afforded him a wealth of experience in corporate structuring, mergers and acquisitions, and music law. After honing his communication, collaboration and strategy skills in the military, he brings them to bear in each transaction, bolstering the team effort to produce effective client results.
More than just a transactional attorney, Alec also brings his skills to the fore in the community and beyond, having assisted in evacuating an Afghan family targeted by the Taliban and currently helping them to settle in a western nation, building a medical facility for a girls’ orphanage in Tanzania, and locally providing pro bono and consultation services to local emerging artists.
Capabilities, Successes, and Assignments
- Assists and directly handles transactions involving Asset Purchase Agreements, Membership Interest Purchase Agreements, Purchase and Sale Agreements and all ancillary documents required at closing.
- Drafts and negotiates legal contracts for recording, distribution, licensing, management and NIL agreements.
- Advises music clients on a broad range of topics, including intellectual property, licensing (copyright, trademark, NIL), entertainment law, general commercial law, and contract interpretation.
- Offers consultation services to emerging music artists negotiating their first contracts.
- Reviews, revises, and edits exclusivity waivers, publishing, producer, mixing, and recording agreements.
- Conducts title, survey and zoning due diligence for multiple deal teams on short deadlines for multi-tenant commercial properties, nationally branded hotels, and real estate developers.
- Collaborated with Am 100 law firms during a complex transaction involving a Convertible Note Purchase Agreement valued at $65 million.
- Represented nationally recognized musical artist in negotiations involving the dissolution of his musical group and its business entities.
- Assisted in the asset purchase sale of multiple businesses spanning ninety (90) locations with a total value of $130 million.
- Facilitated the merger of four franchisees with a collective ownership of sixty-five (65) locations, including subsequent asset acquisitions valued at over $35 million.
- Represented major music label, its subsidiaries and its catalog of artists.
- Represented national banks and lenders in loan negotiations with borrowers, facilitating commercial mortgage loans from $15 million to over $200 million.
- Served as outside counsel to one of the largest healthcare systems in the nation.
- Assisted in the merger creating the largest domestic European Wax franchisee and acted as outside counsel for its subsequent projects.
- Acted as outside counsel for AAA rated national lenders.
- Provided outside counsel for major Big 3 record label.
- Served as general counsel for a member of Houndmouth.
Additional Practice Experience
- Business Formation and Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Certificate Of Need (CON) Law
- Commercial Lease Disputes
- Contract Negotiation Preparation Review
- Corporate and Business Tax Law
- Debt & Equity Finance
- Divestitures and Spinoffs
- Entrepreneurial Law
- Fraud, Waste and Abuse Claims
- Healthcare Law
- Healthcare Regulatory Compliance
- Intellectual Property
- Internet & Media Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- New Business LLC Packages
- Regulatory Compliance
- Sales and Dissolutions
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- Transactional Healthcare and Transactional Agreements
News & Insights
- January 25, 2024